Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Laundry calling

Hello my little pretties!
I'm in London and, man alive, is it a circus down here. There is so much to do, and so much to see, and so many people and tourist traps and cigarettes. It smells like the Fourth of July everyday here! (Ok, that may not make sense. The Fourth of July reminds me of the Logan car show...which smells like beer and cigarette smoke.) We've seen so much, I hope I can remember it all. Tuesday night a small group of us went to Wicked. We had gotten up super early that morning to wait in line so we got front row seats! That's right ladies, Fiero's spit was gracing my face! So cool.
Some more sweet highlights include Westminster Abbey (where everyone who is anyone is buried...so mostly royalty and poets.), the National Gallery, Big Ben, the Tower of London, and a whole lot of the tube.
Last night we went to a play at the royal theatre called "A Matter of Life and Death", which I would recommend to anyone who finds themselves in London while it's still showing. I liked it better than Wicked, which is saying a lot because, man, have you seen Fiero? :) After the play was over I sobbed for a good twenty minutes; the play's message was so powerful. And after the tears were over Ann and I walked along the Thames and enjoyed some live music that was floating up from one of the boats on the river. I fell in love with London last night...and with Almond Magnum Bars.
London is great, but our hostel is hostile. Seriously, this place is the pits. You remember the soup nazi from Seinfield? Yeah! they hired his cousin to work here. There was a bit of a commotion at breakfast this morning when a member of our group went back for an apple. The hostel nazi saw her and sneered, "You! I saw you take an apple already! You put that apple back!" So much for breakfast buffets-eh? In addition to the crazy apple lady, there are a whole lot of other difficulties we've run into...and I am wondering if a lot of it has to do with our nationality. Generally Americans aren't well liked outside of the US (in case you haven't picked up on that) and it's been a really humbling experience to be ridiculed for my nationality. It's something I'll surely remember and try to take with me when I come back to the US.
Anywho, I'm off to do some laundry before I see Les Miserables. Hope all is well at home!
Much love,
Ev

2 comments:

Rachel said...

I want an Almond Mangum Bar! I will give you a carrot from my garden if you bring me one home.

I am sorry the Englanders are not nice to you. Just tell them that is why we left in the first place, but that we have appreciated their help in the wars and that we like them even if they don't like us. I am pretty jealous you are seeing all of these cool stage productions. You'll have to let me know who Fiero is one day.

Anyway, have a great rest of your trip and you can come to our house for breakfast when you get home and you can even have 3 apples . . .

Cheryl and Dave said...

Hey Ev
Sounds like you are having the time of your life! I, too, would someday love to be filled in on who Fiero is. As for Almond Mangum bars; are they as good as the Swiss Chocolate? If so, I'll take 12.
All is well here. We love ya!